Mitchel & Co - Warranty Policy
Here at Mitchel & Co we hope that you continue to enjoy your jewellery long into the future. Our expert team are always available to provide advice on caring for your jewellery, as well as insuring your purchase and repairs or sizings. For any questions at all, we are here to assist, simply call us on 0121 2330511, where we are on hand to provide advice during business hours.
Cleaning and checking service for your jewellery
Here at Mitchel & Co, we prefer to see your jewellery for inspection between 12 and 18 months from initial purchase, this is a complimentary service that we encourage our customers to take advantage of. Maintaining your items properly will help to extend the life of your jewellery and keep it looking great. Our cleaning and inspection service is free of charge on Mitchel & Co made jewellery, to all UK based Mitchel & Co customers.
Our team of experts can make arrangements for complimentary servicing to be booked with our workshop. Lead times for cleaning services can vary depending on the live workshop availability, and for the quickest turnaround weekdays Mon-Thurs are advised. Contact us directly to book in.
Items can be sent to us via post, however please be aware that postage charges are applicable to return items to our customers.
Important note about ‘Finishes’; Special finishes, such as platings and diamond cuttings, as well as engravings inside and outside of the ring can be altered or lost during servicing and repair. Mitchel & Co will always advise and inspect items prior to service, however we cannot guarantee that they will be retained. If any ‘finishes’, engravings, or ‘replating’ (in the case of white golds) need to be replaced on your jewellery there will be an additional cost to the customer.
Resizing your purchase
Like a fine tailored suit or dress, we expect that new purchases may need a little tweak to get them just right. Our first sizing service for your new purchase is complimentary. Simply bring your ring to the store and we can advise on the best adjustment for you new purchase. Where possible we will endeavour to make this happen as quickly as we can, therefore a call ahead of time is advised.
Further sizing can of course be made on many of our designs well into the future. We recommend getting in touch for an estimate, and to book this in.
NB: There are always a few exceptions where sizing is not possible due to the nature of the chosen design. Our experienced team will always ensure customers are given honest advise where this is the case.
At MCO we always recommend insuring your new purchase against loss, damage and theft. On purchasing your jewellery we will advise you of a replacement value for insurance. This is highly recommended in addition to our warranty. Our recommended insurer is TH March. To arrange cover with TH March, call 01822 855 555 or visit their website www.thmarch.co.uk. Our jewellery reference number is XXXX??. Alternatively, you may wish to add your jewellery to your home contents insurance. Simply ask for details.
Please see our separate guide on how best to care for your jewellery and our repair guide for the latest pricing.
Limited Lifetime Warranty information
Our approach to providing the best experience includes being there for our customers long after the purchase of your special jewellery.
If you have any concerns about your jewellery we encourage you to bring it to our attention as soon as possible. We take a human approach to helping in the future care of your treasured rings, and want to help resolve any problems with care and transparency. In the first instance, please contact us via telephone or email and arrange an appointment to bring your item along to the store, where we can address any issues with you as quickly as possible, and carry out an inspection. Simply email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 0121 2330511.
Bringing the item to store during a weekday is advised, as our workshops are generally open during this period, and often inspection can be done quickly for your convenience if an appointment is made ahead of time.
If your item is deemed to have a manufacturing defect, we will repair or replace the item accordingly, as quickly as time allows and free of charge. We guarantee an honest assessment of any jewellery problems and will always explain in full any issues we find.
Mitchel & Co. are not responsible for general wear and tear over the lifetime of your ring, any accidental damage, or theft. Examples of issues that are not deemed to be manufacturing issues include (but are not limited to); - loose diamonds, pulled or bent claws.
- dents, scratches and nicks to the metal - these are inevitable during wear, and regular servicing is required to maintain jewellery
- Discolouration from chemical exposure
- Lost stones from impacts or breakages
- Misshapen rings from ‘hands on’ activities, gym work, gardening or heavy duty tasks. (See our care guide)
- If damage is not deemed to be a manufacturing fault, we will advise you on our repairs services and provide an estimate for carrying out work. The best way to avoid repairs is to take advantage of our complimentary
cleaning and polishing, as well as follow our care guide. -
- On the rare occasion whereupon we cannot agree a satisfactory conclusion of damage, Mitchel & Co will offer a fully independent evaluation of the item, at an initial cost to the customer of £185. This amount is refundable should the item subsequently be deemed specifically and solely a manufacturing issue or fault by the appointed third party. The customer will be responsible for covering costs should the result be one of accidental damage, and an estimate will be provided. Please note that on occasion stones may need to be unset to assess damages, and Mitchel & Co reserve the right to charge for re-setting or subsequent repairs as part of this process. This situation is really not our style, and instead encourage an honest discussion to find the best and most economical solution to any damaged item or ring.
- Jewellery manufactured in 9kt Golds are not covered by our warranty, nor are Opals, or any item created in our workshop re-using/ re-purposing a customers own goods (inc. Metals, chains, diamonds or gemstones).
- All repairs and resizing are undertaken with our best advice, but are at the owners risk, we therefore do not accept responsibility for customer goods that become damaged during the re-modelling process.
When purchasing diamond jewellery, our customers should be aware that diamonds and gemstones have naturally occurring inclusions, irregularities in colour, size and shape and other individual characteristics. At Mitchel & Co, our gemologists are trained to discuss all aspects with you through a consultation process, and will endeavour to make you aware of the unique characteristics of your purchase. Transparency and trust are very important to us and the buying process, therefore if you have any questions about the characteristics of your diamonds/ gemstone, we are here to explain and assist your understanding, in accordance with its GIA/ IGI certificate. Such characteristics will not be deemed a defect.
Bespoke commissions follow a set process through years of best practice. We are committed to providing the best service when designing a ring with our customers. If at any point you require further information during the manufacturing process do not hesitate to ask, so that we can ensure we are on the right track. Where possible we are happy to provide images and design specifications for sign off by the customer, and may impose conditions on designs, such as sizing precautions or wear advice and restrictions.
Our jewellery is handcrafted and often tailor made for you, therefore each item may have minor inconsistencies and irregularities to another, or in comparison to a showroom item. Variation in craftsmanship is not deemed a defect, and is simply part of the human process of our manufacturing.
Jewellery purchased from Mitchel & Co is subject to normal, day-to-day wear, activities and trauma. We do not provide a warranty to repair, replace or refund for the usual wear or loss of stones as the result of uncared for jewellery. All of our jewellery is hallmarked and tested by the Assay Office, and is of the highest quality, this does not however mean that they are indestructible. Precious metals are used in jewellery making as a means of showcasing natural stones, looking beautiful adorning our bodies. Scratching and marking is likely over the course of time, as precious metal encounters day to day life, and will need to be carefully maintained, and regularly polished to keep it looking good. Please take advantage of our services to allow us to help care for your items.
Manufacturer’s Warranty - important conditions
As well as the aforementioned conditions, please be aware that your warranty is subject to the following conditions;
- The Mitchel & Co Manufacturer’s Warranty is only available to the owner of the item, and for items made in their entirety by our own workshop. Remounts to customers own items, or jewellery that includes non-Mitchel & co diamonds or gemstones, and refurbishments of outside jewellery are exempt from our warranty.
- Alterations made by jewellers other than Mitchel & Co will void your warranty with us immediately
- Purchases from Mitchel & Co must be seen for service no less than once every 18 months in order to retain warranties. Regular inspections will help to prevent serious problems occurring, and in particular very diamond set items will benefit from annual checking
Our warranty does not cover theft or loss, and we therefore advise you select an appropriate insurance plan to cover your item. See our insurance advice.